Redundancy can be a sudden and unexpected change in your life. Our guide below will help you to take control of the situation and take the opportunity to look and find something new.

Support and Benefits

Information and impartial advice on your rights in redundancy is available from Money Helper.

You may be eligible for benefits like Jobseeker's Allowance, Universal Credit, or other benefits to help while you find a new job.  Visit your local Jobcentre and look at being made redundant on GOV.UK.

Jobcentre Plus have also produced local information booklets and a frequently asked questions leaflet which are available on the Inclusion Cornwall website, and give an outline of benefits, and where to go to access support, as well as advice on a variety of other issues.

Check how much benefit you may be able to get on one of the benefits calculators here

The Citizens Advice Help to Claim supports in the early stages of a Universal Credit claim.  It is a free, independent, confidential and impartial service provided by trained advisers from Citizens Advice.  They can help with things like how to gather evidence for your application or how to prepare for your work coach appointment. Call for free: 0800 144 8 444.

Get support online or find your nearest face to face service at

Tax Credits.  It is important to tell the Tax Credit Office about any changes to your working circumstances as it may change the amount of Working Tax Credit you get. Contact 0345 300 3900 or visit

Redundancy Payments

Get information and advice on your rights and statutory redundancy. How much redundancy pay you get depends on your age and how long you have worked for your employer.

you can get help with

  • statutory redundancy pay
  • your rights if your employer has gone into liquidation

Contact ACAS for information and advice. Their helpline number is 0300 123 1100. Alternatively, go online at where you can find further information. 

Lump sum payments on redundancy

A lump sum payment may include a payment in lieu of notice as well as a redundancy payment. This may affect your benefit entitlement. If you have to claim benefits from the Department for Work and Pensions, they may need to know how any such payment was spent. You can seek advice from an independent advice agency.

Up to £30,000 of redundancy pay is tax free.

Response to Redundancy

Help may be available to assist people affected by redundancy to undertake additional short duration job focused training, via the Response to Redundancy Service (RRS) fund. Eligibility conditions apply.

You can contact the Rapid Response Service:

  • if you suspect you are going to be made redundant
  • during your notice period
  • up to 13 weeks after you have been made redundant

If you have recently been made redundant and registered for Jobseekers Allowance or Universal Credit, ask your Jobcentre Work Coach, or contact the Rapid Response Service team at [email protected], as they may be able to help you access work-focused training. 

Financial and Debt Support

One of the most worrying aspects of redundancy and unemployment is the need to adjust to reduced income, balance the budget and manage debt.  If you are worried about managing your finances, consider speaking with a professional.  Get help and practical advice to create a budget and manage your debts.  Get free debt advice - GOV.UK (


If you are undertaking an Apprenticeship and are at risk of, or are made redundant, there is assistance available to help you to complete your Apprenticeship.

If you’re facing redundancy, the Redundancy Support Service for Apprentices can help. If you are an apprentice who has been made redundant or think you might be made redundant in the future, you can use the service to get free advice and support and find new opportunities.

Visit redundancy support for apprentices or call 0800 0150 400 to speak to an adviser.

Losing a job can affect your emotional well-being. Talk to friends, family, or consider reaching out to local support groups or helplines. Your mental and emotional health are important.